CERT's Virtual Training Environment
CERT®'s Virtual Training Environment (VTE) is our way of amplifying the security training and best practices
we have developed and deliver through classroom training. Because of the rich media instruction and hands-on training labs,
VTE allows users to access high-quality information security, computer forensics, and incident response training material
anywhere in the world, with only a Web browser and an Internet connection.
VTE offers the following content types:
There are over 2000 pages of written material and nearly 300 hours of instruction in VTE. Individuals and organizations can use VTE in a variety of ways:
- Documents and handbook material in PDF format.
- Narrated screencasts of specific techniques and technologies.
- Recorded lectures on a variety of topics. VTE lectures are captured from CERT® classroom instruction and
converted to an online format.
- Hands-on training labs using virtual machine technologies. Labs are designed as a capstone to a specific
subject. Each lab includes a manual that provides context for the subject, a network map of machines the
student will interact with, and a series of step-by-step instructions with screenshots. Students provision
labs on their own schedule, perform the tasks in the manual, and when finished, the resources are returned
to the pool for other students to use. VTE labs are not simulations; students provision real servers in preconfigured networks, and access
them in a Web browser without modifying their own computers.
- Quizzes, which test mastery of the content using a variety of question types. Quizzes are only available in VTE training tracks; not in the Library.
Because the material in VTE is already developed, CERT® wishes to make as much of
its content available to the general public as possible. Our goal is to improve computer security worldwide, and offering our
and we are not able to offer support to the public, but we do hope it is a valuable resource to you. Access the
VTE Library and start learning today.
VTE Premium Access includes access to the VTE hands-on labs, which are not included in the VTE public library, and access to VTE support for assistance
accessing content. Premium Access is an excellent way to supplement and refresh your skills and practice security and forensics techniques in a testbed environment without
needing to set up your own lab.
The SEI Course Registration page has pricing information for VTE Premium Access.
VTE Training Courses
As a VTE customer, you can assemble the material in the VTE Library into online courses, and then enroll
users in those courses. You can then monitor your users' progress through courses. You can also assign an instructor from your organization to
support students though VTE's online virtual Office Hours, which supports synchronous and asynchronous communication via webcam, VoIP,
screen/application sharing, and discussion forum technology. When users complete courses, they can print completion certificates right from the browser.
VTE courses can be used to meet a variety of your training needs:
- Rapidly onboarding new staff
- Billable training hours
- Continuing education credits for certification maintenance
- DoD 8570.1 Directive for IA Technical and Managerial Roles
- FISMA compliance training
CERT® has established some training courses that are available to individuals and organizations on a variety of subjects. CERT courses
include virtual Office Hours support from our pool of instructors, and many courses include CEU credits from Carnegie Mellon University.
CERT's course list:
- Certified Authorization Professional (CAP)® Certification Preparation
- CISSP Certification Preparation
- Network Security Tools and Techniques
- Information Security for Technical Staff
- Advanced PCAP Analysis and Signature Development
- CISM Introduction
- Host Based Security System (HBSS)
- Certified Ethical Hacker