Insider Threat Research: Modeling and Simulation
CERT's MERIT (Management and Education of Risks of Insider Threat) project, funded by Carnegie Mellon's CyLab, employs system dynamics modeling and simulation to convey the complexity of the problem.
The MERIT team, composed of CERT's technical experts, and psychologists uses system dynamics to
- model and analyze the dynamic nature of the insider threat problem
- simulate and graph behavior over time
- produce educational materials based upon the models developed
The team focused initial modeling efforts on insider IT sabotage. CyLab has currently funded the team to
produce two new models: one for insider theft of confidential
information and one for insider fraud.
The MERIT project led to two additional areas of work
- DOD PERSEREC funded the MERIT team to use system dynamics modeling to compare IT sabotage and espionage
- CyLab funded development of an innovative training mechanism for insider threat: a virtual interactive simulation of the MERIT model: MERIT -Interactive
Papers and Presentations
The following are papers and presentations related to system dynamics: